Thursday, October 20, 2011

...He can smell it and know it's low fat?


 
Before I moved myself into my new apartment, I’d say I was the queen of microwaving. I knew the science to piercing the plastic that covered Lean Cuisines.  I memorized the method of heating it up for 2 minutes, stirring it around so there were no surprise frozen spots, and the continuation of heating for 1:30 more minutes. Once you hear popping noises that usually not a good sign! For my first 10 months of graduate school, I lived in efficiencies that weren’t equipped with ovens (or stove tops, or dishwashers, or washing machines, or dryers, or internet ((minor details)).  Therefore, I turned to the microwave.

It was quite ironic really, because as I sat in Nutrition Education class, I was being lectured on the dangers of high blood pressure associated with demographics that relied solely on frozen dinners, canned foods and packaged cured meat.  Every time there was a potluck of some sort for school…I was the one to bring the paper plates and cups since I couldn’t exactly contribute! (Well, now that I think about it, I could have just gone to Publix, which would have tasted better than anything I cooked anyways!)

Allow me to introduce you to my cooking experiences. None of them are positive ones.  Many times my mom and my sister tried to get me sit down long enough to watch them cook but my attention span is less than impressive (you would know this if you attended my Spinning class). 

I remember one time I decided to cook my significant other a special 6 layer chip dip. This dip was a dream! Colorful, large, delicious aroma…what could go wrong? Secretly, I replaced the regular cheese with fat free cheese, the sour cream was definitely low fat, the black olives were plentiful, the black beans were even more plentiful, and the salsa was perfect.  So I present to him my delicious treat I spent hours (not really) on…and he looked at it strangely…smelled it….made a sour face and said “it’s Trans Fat free”.

First of all, it wasn’t trans fat free, smart guy! But how could he tell something was different by just eyeballing it?? I was just trying to help. I’ve been known to hide the salt shaker to help lower his blood pressure!  He jokes that I go outside and pick “beans and berries” when I’m hungry. I think he knew something was up, since I was just too excited about this chip dip. Needless to say, my college roommate appreciated my lower fat snack and we devoured it while watching “Bridezilla”…while my significant other ate an entire pizza. So much for my genius meal!

My next cooking experience was an actual cooking experience.  Over the holidays, I thought it would be cute of me to make lasagna and green bean casserole while my significant was at work.  I knew his family was coming in town later that night so the pressure was on!  The green bean casserole called for milk. To me, milk means skim milk-no questions asked.  I followed the directions, put it in the oven, took it out, and it was soup. Soup I tell you! Lesson learned that skim milk and whole milk yield different results! As embarrassed as I was, the guests sipped the green bean casserole with a smile!

When I learned that cooking class was required for the Nutrition program, I had an immediate raise in blood pressure! Having a grade and a tuition fee involved made it a little more serious! For this class, we are required to be dressed from head to toe in an entire chef getup, which makes me giggle every time I have to wear it! The class has to line up against the wall and get a uniform check…we can’t even paint our nails! How is a girl supposed to keep a boyfriend with bare nails?

Brown and Yellow Brown and Yellow!

With the discontinuation of the food guide pyramid to the new “My Plate” aims to promote a colorful plate full of fruits, vegetables, grains, protein, and dairy. The question is raised whether these guidelines should contain actual pictures of foods, for those individuals who do not know examples of these food groups. 

Here are some recipes I have dabbled with throughout my rookie cooking season that are perfect for the fall season! I chose these for their vibrant colors that will decorate your plate!

1.    Candied Sweet Potatoes
2.    Baked Butternut Squash
3.    Braised red cabbage with apples

Candied Sweet Potatoes
Yield: 6 Servings, 4 oz. each
Ingredients:

Sweet Potatoes, 2 lbs
Brown Sugar, 5oz.
Water, 2 fl. Oz.
Whole butter, 2oz. (Can be modified with “I can’t believe it’s not butter!”)
Vanilla extract, 1tsp

1.    Wash the sweet potatoes and cut as necessary to promote even cooking.
2.    Bake the sweet potatoes on a sheet pan at 350 degrees F until cooked but still firm, approximately 30 minutes.
3.    Combine the sugar, water, and butter and bring to a boil. Add the vanilla extract and remove from the heat.
4.    Peel the potatoes and slice or cut as desired. Arrange the potatoes in a baking dish and pour the sugar mixture over them.
5.    Bake for 20 minutes, basting occasionally with the sugar mixture.
One serving yields 340% Vitamin A and 60% Vitamin C Daily Value!

Baked Butternut Squash
Yield: 4 servings, 4oz.
Ingredients:

Butternut Squash, medium dice, 1 lb
Clarified butter, as needed
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Cinnamon, ¼ tsp.
Cardamom, ground, 1/8 tsp
Brown Sugar, 2 Tbsp
Lemon juice, 2 Tbsp
Whole butter, melted, 2 oz

  1. Place the squash in a buttered pan. Season with salt, pepper, cinnamon, cardamom, and sugar
  2. Drizzle the lemon juice and melted butter over the top of the squash
  3. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degrees F oven until tender, approximately 50 minutes
  4. ENJOY a delicious side filled with vitamin A and C

Braised Cabbage with Apples
Yield: 16 servings, 4 oz. each
Ingredients:
Red cabbage, 3lb
Bacon, medium dice (can me modified with turkey bacon), 12 oz
Onions, medium dice, 8 oz
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Red wine, 8 fl. Oz.
White stock, 8 fl. Oz.
Cinnamon sticks, 2
Apples, tart, cored and diced, 12 oz.
Brown sugar, 1 oz
Cider vinegar, 2 fl. oz

  1. Shred the cabbage
  2. Render the bacon. Add the onions and sweat in the bacon fat until tender.
  3. Add the cabbage and sauté’ for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the wine, stock and cinnamon sticks. Cover and braise until the cabbage is almost tender, about 20 minutes.
  4. Add the apples, sugar, and vinegar and mix well
  5. Cover and braise until the apples are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks before serving.
High in Vitamin C, which is a super antioxidant!


No comments:

Post a Comment